Tuesday 2 March 2010

The Dropping of the Bollards & the Warmth of the Sun

Around midday the sun feels warm. I sit on my fold up chair and absorb its rays. I feel like an old lizard trying to quicken his blood ready for the new year.

The only downer of the day concerned the late dropping of bollards. The Melton District Traffic Wardens, resplendent in their fancy new uniforms, would not drop the market bollards until exactly four o'clock. Thus a tail back of dirty white vans spewing out diesel fumes built up, all the way back to Iceland [the shop not the country]. This meant that a very important gentleman could not get his shiny Rover Rover out from behind his office. He was remonstrating with the glazed eyed TWs when I interrupted to ask when traders would be let in he said: Excuse me! This is MY conversation. Very stroppy. I immediately dropped to the ground and begged him to allow me the honour of licking his boots. Sorry, I made that up.

In view of the stress everyone was experiencing it would seem best to give the TWs a useful job to do like care work or refuse collection and leave traders sort out their own access to the market. Other towns manage to get traders in and out without this degree of aggravation.

As for the very important gentleman he should be a TW for a year [ unpaid] as a form of community service.

No comments: