Sunday 28 February 2010

Saturday: Ferrets and Hydroflouric acid.


Top pic shows Pete and his polecat,Lucas, a charming and intelligent creature. I stroked its furry little head... nervously. I'm scared of the ferret family: it's their horribly sharp teeth and their quick sinuous movements.
Bottom pic is of Terence and me. He's a pedigree golden rat-squirrel from Venezuela who I liberated from a charity stall next to me. He hid in my pocket when Lucas turned up.
I sold three pairs of titanium earrings today to a woman who was chemist. We talked about the process of colouring titanium. The first stage of this involves etching the metal with hydrofluoric acid. This a very dangerous substance. It can penetrate the skin as fast as a ferret's canines and then create a blood clot and this can cause cardiac arrest. Czesh, who made the titanium jewellery back in the eighties died suddenly from a heart attack. I wonder if the acid had something to do with his premature death? Czesh was at college with Sharon and was a very enterprising young man who sold titanium jewellery all over the world. We used to envy his business acumen [something we lack!]. And then he died. It was a great shock and a sad loss.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You look very dapper there Harry! I suggest having your right hand amputated and replaced with the beaver....rat-squirrel indeed!

Phil Ashcroft said...

Thank you for your kind remarks. I will certainly consider your suggestions.